Why should I engage in a professional driving course?
A 4×4 vehicle represents a significant investment for your business and when used correctly it can be an extremely versatile tool capable of undertaking a wide range of tasks. However, driven incorrectly when off road can lead to a potentially hazardous and dangerous situation. Accidents can happen, so training even for experienced off road drivers can help reduce these risks as well as enabling you to safely┬áexploit the full potential of your 4×4.
What regulations apply to me?
The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 (PUWER) require employers to provide adequate training and to ensure that 4×4’s are driven only by employees who have received appropriate training in their safe use. The regulations apply even if you are self-employed.
How will it benefit me?
The benefit to you, your company and employees is not to only comply with PUWER but also to improve driver safety, learn how to effectively┬áget the best from┬áyour 4×4 on and off the highway, reducing the likelihood of damage and consequent costs.
Our courses cover a lot of ground (below is a selection of topics covered):
- ┬áHealth and safety briefings/issues
- Risk assessments – generic and dynamic assessments
- Principles of off-road driving
- Four wheel drive systems and technology
- Assessing the extent of the vehicles capabilities and limitations
- Care of the environment
- Vehicle preparation and pre-use checks
- Tackling off-road obstacles e.g. ruts, ditches and ridges.
- Low traction surfaces – mud, grass, gravel, snow (weather dependant!) and simulated sand conditions.
- Open and woodland terrain
- Practical sessions – safe operation in an off road environment, learning safety related driving techniques and the skills to assess hazards and adverse conditions.
- Moving away and stopping
- Hill climbs, hill starts and hill descents
- Failed hill climbs
- Side slopes
- Water hazards
- Emergency stop on slippery surfaces
- Recovery techniques
- Much more!
Our extensive experience means we can┬átailor the content to create a bespoke course for you, so your training will be highly useful and have the most┬árelevance.┬áOur site┬áis highly varied and contains all the obstacles and surfaces┬áyou are likely to encounter when driving in the┬áreal world. Our own qualified instructors can refer to years of working in the field and they are┬ápassionate about passing on their knowledge and sharing their experiences.